The pub was named after the local landowners, the Tollemache family, who were the Earls of Dysart. Their coat of arms is above the door. Originally the building, which we believe dates from the mid 1700's, was a farm belonging to the estate. The Tollemache family themselves had a small-holding of some 25,000 acres in Cheshire and extensive estates in Scotland, but lived in London at the family seat of Ham House in Richmond, a nice little pied-a-terre in town.
Funnily enough, the original pub was in the building over the road, now known as Orchard House, but it moved into the current premises in the late 1800's. Members of the Cheshire List at RootsWeb have helped establish the landlords from that time:
1851 Census - Joseph Tapley
1857 Cheshire Post Office Directory - Richard Rutter (also Butcher)
1881 Census - Samuel Clarke
1892 Trades Directory - Samuel Wood (also Butcher)
Beverly, who is Richard Rutter's great great grand daughter, tells us that he married for a second time in 1857 at St.Boniface, to Margaret Andrew, and their five children including her maternal grandfather's mother Ann, were born in Bunbury, presumably in what is now Orchard House. She's not sure how long Richard was at the Dysart Arms but, from 1878 until his death in 1891, he had the Shrewsbury Arms in Little Budworth, and in fact this pub stayed in the hands of various members of the Rutter family until the mid 1940s. Richard's mother and descendants owned the Red Lion in the same village for a good many years. His daughter Ann and husband ran the Cotton Arms in Wrenbury, and she then went on to own the Peacock Inn in Willaston....and there were other Rutters in pubs in surroundings areas.
In the nineteenth century the Dysart was simultaneously a pub, a farm and an abattoir, although the building that housed the abattoir has now been demolished. The abattoir supplied the butcher's shop on the other side of the church, but this is also no longer in existence, having been demolished by a bomb in the Second World War (the bomb was dropped by a German bomber jettisoning its load on the way back from Liverpool docks).
The Dysart Arms can be seen on the far left
Looking across the churchyard towards
the old Post Office and the butchers,
destroyed in world war II
We bought the property in 1996 from John and Sue Lloyd, who had kept the pub in immaculate order, and who had laid the foundations of the gardens as they now stand. We converted the extensive outbuildings into kitchens, and connected them to the original pub building with a substantial conservatory, which worked very well and joins it all together into a seamless whole.
The Dysart in the late 1950s.
Reassuringly little has changed
in two generations
( Courtesy of Bob Welch)
The only difficulty we have with the Dysart is the lack of parking space, hence the retention of the hitching-rail for horses.
P.S. Are there any other old photographs out there we might include on this page? If so, give us a shout - Ed